Having my photo taken makes me nervous. How should I pose and what should I wear?

I try to create a very relaxed atmosphere when shooting. I will guide you towards poses that feel natural and I keep some reference photos on my phone that we can try to recreate in order to ease into a session - think of the first few snaps as a warm-up! If people staring worries you, we can shoot in a quiet area or at a quiet time.
Wear clothes that make you feel comfortable, and if that’s jeans and a t-shirt, no problem. I’m happy to help with styling so that your outfit looks great on camera, and I can also bring a few pieces from my “photography wardrobe”.


 How do I pay for a session? And when will I know if my booking is confirmed?

I accept payments through bank transfer and PayPal. In most cases, we will be in direct communication before any money is exchanged, so you will receive all the information on my payment plans as we organise our session. I require a 30% deposit as a booking fee, and you will receive a receipt via email as confirmation once this goes through. If there are any issues during this process, I will be in touch. The remaining fee of 70% is usually paid 1 week prior to the session. Instalments are also available.


What is your policy on refunds?

My initial 30% deposit is strictly non-refundable. The remaining 70% fee may be refunded if no photographs are taken or transferred between parties.
I offer a full refund to clients if I am ill or in the case of emergency and rescheduling is not an option. For more on this, please refer to the contract.
If you are dissatisfied with the final images of our session (I really really really hope this will not be the case!), please let me know and we can discuss the issue further.


What equipment do you use?

I currently shoot with a Canon 6D, usually with a 35mm f1.4 lens, an 85mm, or my personal favourite, an old Helios 50mm adapted to fit.
I tend to work with natural light but sometimes use a reflector or flash. I edit on Photoshop.


Do you shoot internationally?

Definitely, as long as I’m available for the date you have in mind. I am based in Scotland but I am happy to travel to you.
When booking, please bear in mind the additional cost of flights, trains and accommodation costs.


How do you edit your photos?

My editing style varies for each project, and the client always has a say in the final results. This is something we always discuss when organising a session.
I personally prefer naturalistic editing that enhances the mood of the photo without taking away the humanity of my models. I will edit out any distracting elements of a portrait such as stray strands of hair or people in the background, or add in extra flowers (there’s never enough flowers…) For fantasy or conceptual work, major editing is part of the parcel.
If a natural look is requested, I respect that and stick to tonal adjustments and colour correction. However if a client asks me to minimise dark circles, stretch marks or acne, I also respect that choice. I believe a good photo does not need to be airbrushed, but for editorial style images I may do subtle retouching of the model’s skin, hair and eyes.


Can I hire you as a retoucher?

Yes, I am available to retouch others’ work! I have been using Photoshop for about a decade (weird to think about…) and am continuing to learn. Some examples of my retouching can be viewed by clicking here.


Can I purchase prints directly from you?

My current portrait packages are built digitally for convenience. All final images will be available to you on a platform with options for DIY printing, but I am happy to organise this and can provide a price estimate and time frame on request.
My full-day wedding package includes a complimentary mini album of prints. The smaller packages can be adapted to include this extra.